keskiviikko 23. joulukuuta 2009

The Bloody Time of the Year

I hate Christmas. Not because it is commercial, invented by card companies, nor for the forced happygo-lucky athmosphere. Me and Christmas have been good friends in the past, but now I have good reasons for disliking it.

1. The music

For six years, I have been working in stores that play Christmas music. I know the tunes, I know the melodies, and all the lyrics in Finnish and in English. The repetition of the songs is not what annoyes me though. It is the remakes, the new versions of the old songs, where the artist decides to put his or hers own influence on it. 99% of the cases the songs become sappy, over rendered smush that usually is constructed from screaming and crying. Oh my god, we get it! Silent night, Holy night is a beautiful song, but it gets me over the edge to hear the singer practically crying when the word child is mentioned.
For fucks sake, it is only on the third row you can imagine what the rest of the song is like!

Plus I hate, hate, HATE Power of Love. This is for personal reasons, that don't need to be mentioned here. Let me just ask a question about it; the single was released during Christmas time, the video shows the holy night, but what the hell does the song have to do with Christmas?! NOTHING! It's worse than bloody Christmas Shoes, and that song is god awful!

2. Shopping

As I mentioned I have been working in a store for quite awhile. The typical stressed out customer getting his or hers last moment presents is not anything new to me. Actually everybody does that, and even though we hate it, we like to brag about how we made it just in time. It is stupid but not really the reason why I hate Christmas shopping.

As you might know, I'm sort of an environmentalist. The waste of great amounts of materia is not what irritates me, but the hypocrizy. During December there is a big fuzz about spending time with our loved ones and how we should cherish the silence and peace. BULLSHIT. Peace and harmony my ass, Christmas is all about getting shit, and we have to go through the yearly hell of the shopping malls for it. I think the perfect gift would actually be just spending quality time with the loved ones without pressure, ignoring all the extra crap.

3. Quality time with the family

Starts off nice, then it is horrible. For me it has not been all bad, but I am over the childish excitement of 'family fun'. It is nice to see folks but I just wish we wouldn't have to have this stupid holiday for an excuse to catch up. Cannot families have quality time without ho ho ho's? Apparrently not. Just look at any holiday movies, even the ones not meant for kids. All of them spread the message of the magical family reunion during the wonderful Chrismas day. If people find it hard to spend time around each other, why pretend to be a happy family at all
, even just for one night. All we do, is create an illusion (an expensive one, I might add) to please the common media of the typical holiday picture.

So why this sudden burst? It is 0:00 am, I just realized I fucked up my dads gift(which I'm making myself), and I still don't have anything for mum. Tomorrow we are going to have dinner together, without my brother because he is in Norway. I planned on escaping, but he did it first. I have to wake up tomorrow at 6 to get back to work to hear the bloody Power of Love, fucking Party of Five, Mariah Carrey's Chrismas blower, and for what. To remind me to do things differently next year? As if.

4.Holiday Specials (Excluding the Snowman, because it has the song)

Just watch Star Wars Christmas Special



All I want for Christmas is for it to be over

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti